Metadata Librarian (Cataloging)
Metadata Librarian (Cataloging)
About the company:
Ex Libris, a ProQuest company, is a leading global provider of cloud-based solutions for higher education. Offering SaaS solutions for the management and discovery of the full spectrum of library and scholarly materials, as well as mobile campus solutions driving student engagement and success, Ex Libris serves thousands of customers in 90 countries. For more information about Ex Libris, see our website, and join us on Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
As a member of the Content Operations team, the Metadata Librarian (Cataloging) is responsible for creating, enhancing and reconciling MARC and other authority data in Ex Libris knowledgebases. The ideal candidate is someone who is excited about the future of library metadata beyond MARC and who has a grounded understanding of the role that metadata plays in driving library services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Metadata Librarian is responsible for ensuring the quality and timeliness of updates and additions for all authority work. The incumbent performs gap analysis to identify what metadata is missing and works with outsource vendors, libraries, and publishers to obtain metadata, or create original cataloging, to fill those gaps.
- Drives scope and timeliness of the metadata tracked in Ex Libris knowledgebases , creating authority records, and normalizing knowledgebase titles to the authority records to ensure bibliographic accuracy for customers
- Demonstrates customer focus by quickly analyzing and correcting issues reported by customers, Library Support and/or providers. Resolves incidents within defined timeframe established by the department
- Develops and maintains relationships with both key MARC record providers and customers to support proactive identification of improvements for department processes and systems
- Documents best practices associated with management of workflow and metadata use.
- Participates in close collaboration with software development team and other product groups in the company to help increase organization-wide understanding of data and metadata requirements and optimize the effectiveness of design implementations
- Masters’ degree or higher in related field, such as Library Sciences
- At Least 2 years’ related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to work effectively across functional groups to meet aggressive schedules
- Ability to learn quickly and efficiently within an environment of changing priorities
- Displays strong technical leadership skills and the ability to motivate team members
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office with an emphasis in Excel
- Attention to detail and accuracy while handling a high volume workload
- Excellent researching and problem solving and troubleshooting skills, including the ability to analyze, compare, evaluate, reconcile and order data
- Strong working knowledge of a variety of metadata standards (e.g. MARC, ONIX, OAI-PMH, MODS, XML, Dublin Core, AACR2/RDA, etc), as well as understanding of controlled vocabularies, thesauri, and taxonomies
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Aptitude for learning electronic resource management and metadata standards and formats
- Evidence of ability to independently plan, analyze, and solve problems creatively, flexibly, and resourcefully
- Ability to create or contribute to appropriate written documentation such as problem statements, business requirements, functional specifications, and other project support documentation
- Drive to be Subject Matter Expert
Qualifications listed below, while not necessarily a requirement for this position in each circumstance, provide additional depth and value to the role.
- Understanding of Bibframe and linked data in a library environment
- Experience in creating MARC records following RDA or AACR2 cataloging rules
- Some knowledge of XSLT, Java, Perl, Ruby, Python, or other programming languages that aid in data manipulation is very beneficial
- Fluency in additional languages
- Project management skills and experience
English at a very high level
Rank in the company:
The position reports to Content Operations Manager